It might be the weekend, but here at Rope Drop [dot]Net HQ we are still committed to providing you with your News Nuggets. Before we get started on the “links” part of the Nuggets, a quick update to Tables in Wonderland. Disney has finally decided to add Skipper Canteen & Jock Lindsey’s to the list of places that get discounts (along with the much newer Nomad Lounge and Tiffins at Animal Kingdom.) I wonder if this will have any impact on attendance at Skipper Canteen.
As another special perk, Disney is giving 20% of merchandise purchase at Word of Disney in Disney Springs to Tables in Wonderland members through Labor Day. As always, I would recommend that you point out this discount to the cast members (i.e., I doubt they’ll ask you about it.)
Now, with that out of the way, let’s move on to the rest of the Nuggets!
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios will no longer sell Turkey legs – I’ve never been a big turkey leg guy, but I’m sure some people will be disappointed if this turns out to be true.
- ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex To Become New Epicenter of Cheer and Dance – When this is done, it’ll take away the argument that Disney needs to leave Indiana Jones open for Cheer & Dance events.
- Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf Closing for Refurbishment – Just something to keep in mind if you planned on being at Disney World in early August and wanted to play mini-golf.
- Art Smith’ s Homecoming now accepting Online Reservations. – I can verify that this works. I just made reservation for a potential trip.
- Dine at Magic Kingdom quick service and receive discount coupons for Disney Springs Marketplace shopping – It’s that time of year.
- AbracadaBar Now Open at Disney’s BoardWalk – I know some people complain about the amount of bars, but they get crazy crowded. Also, when the parks close at 9pm, it’s nice to have some place to calm down for a couple of hours. Here’s some photos and video from Mouse Steps about the bar.
- Disney World Adding Calorie Counts to Counter Service Menu Boards – This is going to be a real eye opener for some people.
- WDW News Today Claims New Menu Effectively Ruins “The Plaza Restaurant” at the Magic Kingdom – Tom is not happy with the menu change. Relatedly, has the burger there always been that expensive?
- Concept Art Released for Muppets Restaurant at Hollywood Studios – Not a lot to glean from this at this point. We’ll have to wait to get a better idea of what Disney has planned for this space.
- Orlando Magical Dining Month To Feature Disney Restaurants Deals – If you’re already planning on going to Morimoto Asia or STK during “Magical Dining” Month, then you might as well see if this is something you might benefit from.
- Reservations Open July 29 for Re-Imagined Flying Fish on Disney’s BoardWalk at Walt Disney World Resort – I am looking forward to seeing the new space, but the menu looks like it might be a little beyond what Elyssa and I get for dinner when we’re at Disney. Of course, we’ll wait to see the reviews before making any final decisions.
- The Muppets Are Coming to Walt Disney World Resort This Fall in an All-New Show – I wonder how this is going to work. Are they going to put a little stage or something?
- Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort hosting Alice in Wonderland themed ‘Wishes’ fireworks viewing party – Interesting. I wonder how long they’ll be trying this out for.
- Germany Pavilion at Epcot Finally Debuts New Band at Outdoor Stage – Cool. (I guess?). Whatever, I don’t mind musical acts in World Showcase.
- Sunshine Seasons at Epcot Discontinuing Breakfast Service This Weekend – With more people heading over to Norway for FrozenStrom, it makes sense that fewer people were headed to The Land for breakfast. I wouldn’t be surprised if they offered breakfast service at The Land during the holidays, though.
- A change to Epcot Fastpass+ Tier system – One of everyone’s favorite boat rides, Living the Land, is now a Tier 2 attraction. Not really a surprise, with Soarin’ back open and FrozenStrom drawing people to the other side of the park.
- Limited-time Character Experience for Guests with Memory Maker at Walt Disney World Resort – Interesting. It looks like they’re giving people with Memory Maker (or APs that feature Photopass) a special meet-and-greet with Belle at the Heritage House at Magic Kingdom.
- Blaze Pizza Fires Up Counter Service Options at Disney Springs – There’s a Blaze Pizza near Elyssa and me, and we really like it. My biggest concern isn’t the quality, it’s if their assembly-line model will be able to scale to Disney-sized crowds.
- Experience Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at Disney Springs with Limited Time Offer – A whole bunch of discounts for various pass holders, DVC members, people staying on site, etc… If you were thinking about going to Bibbidi Bobbidi at Disney Springs before Septmber 5, it might be worth it to check out these discounts.
- Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon Rumored to Close Soon – If you really want to do this, it sounds like you might want to do it before September.
- New ‘Miss Fortune Falls’ Attraction Coming to Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Spring 2017 – Related to the above storming about the closure, it looks like Typhoon Lagoon is also getting some new stuff.
- Dining Pavilion & Grocery Store to be Added Soon to Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge – This story is weird. It does make sense, but Orlando biz journal link cited in the WDW News Today piece has been pulled (the same thing happens for a Google results.) I wonder what’s going on.
That’s it for this edition of the News Nuggets! Of course, if you’re like me, the biggest news of the weekend is probably the announcement that the new Rogue One trailer will drop during NBC’s Olympics coverage on Thursday! (I’m a little excited for that movie.)